The Lowdown on Toxic Mold

Mold can grow in any house, internally or externally. If it’s on the inside of the house, mold typically grows where there is moisture.

In order to get rid of mold, you should protect yourself and then clean it. Use a mask and gloves, and clean it with a water and bleach compound. Try to ventilate the space as much as possible.

Mold 101

Typically, black mold is not toxic in and of itself; however, it can produce mycotoxins, making it toxigenic. News reports and health websites can often make toxic mold seem like a plague that will make people fall violently ill. The CDC opposes this mentality and says: “These case reports are rare, and a causal link between the presence of the toxigenic mold and these conditions has not been proven…All molds should be treated the same with respect to potential health risks and removal.”

Black mold is even more rare than it may seem, as it requires a consistent source of moisture, such as a leak. In fact, the mold might be the warning of a larger problem in your home that you didn’t even know existed.

If you see mold, don’t waste time trying to ID its type: any mold can lead to allergy issues. Just get rid of it.

Prevention

Mold requires three things: moisture, a surface on which to grow, and food. That’s why it’s so essential to keep your house clean and dry; be especially vigilant of this in bathrooms in places like grout and the shower curtain.

Removal

For hard surfaces indoors, combine a maximum of one cup of bleach with one gallon of water. Outdoors, utilize a pressure washer.

When mold is on surfaces like furniture, carpet, or drywall, simply dispose of the moldy possession. This will prevent it from spreading elsewhere.

If you are experiencing mold as a result of flooding, call in professionals This is especially crucial because anyone who is immunocompromised can be harmed by mold. Remember that floods also bring other hazards into the house that need to be addressed immediately.

Source: Zillow

Share This