Every seller wants their home to sell fast and bring top dollar. Here is how to prep a house and turn it into an irresistible and marketable home.
Disassociate Yourself With Your Home.
- Make the mental decision to “let go” of your emotions and focus on the fact that soon this house will no longer be yours.
Pack up those personal photographs and family heirlooms. Buyers can’t see past personal artifacts, and you don’t want them to be distracted.
People collect an amazing quantity of junk. Consider this: if you haven’t used it in over a year, you probably don’t need it.
- Pack up those knickknacks.
- Clean off everything on kitchen counters.
- Put essential items used daily in a small box that can be stored in a closet when not in use.
Rearrange Bedroom Closets and Kitchen Cabinets.
Buyers will open closet and cabinet doors. Think of the message it sends if items fall out! If everything is organized, it says you probably take good care of the rest of the house as well.
Rent a Storage Unit.
Almost every home shows better with less furniture. Remove pieces of furniture that block or hamper paths and walkways and put them in storage. Leave just enough furniture in each room to showcase the room’s purpose and plenty of room to move around
Remove/Replace Favorite Items.
If you want to take window coverings, built-in appliances or fixtures with you, remove them now. If the chandelier in the dining room once belonged to your great grandmother, take it down. If a buyer never sees it, she won’t want it. Pack those items and replace them, if necessary.
- Replace cracked floor or counter tiles.
- Patch holes in walls.
- Fix leaky faucets.
- Consider painting your walls neutral colors, especially if you have grown accustomed to purple or pink walls.
Make the House Sparkle!
- Wash windows inside and out.
- Rent a pressure washer and spray down sidewalks and exterior.
- Re-caulk tubs, showers and sinks.
- Clean out the refrigerator.
- Bleach dingy grout.
- Replace worn rugs.
- Clean and air out any musty smelling areas. Odors are a no-no.
- Go outside and open your front door. Stand there. Do you want to go inside? Does the house welcome you?
- Examine carefully how furniture is arranged and move pieces around until it makes sense.
- Make sure window coverings hang level.
- Does it look like nobody lives in this house? You’re almost finished.
Check Curb Appeal.
If a buyer won’t get out of their agent’s car because they doesn’t like the exterior of your home, you’ll never get them inside.
- Keep the sidewalks cleared.
- Mow the lawn.
- Paint faded window trim.
- Plant flowers
- Trim your bushes.
Get the most money for your home. The houses that are clean & organized get more buyers and sell faster. Call me today and let’s get started on your home selling plan! Anne Koons 856-795-4709